Mauna Kea Summit Daytime Adventure (from Hilo) Instant Confirmation
Take a day trip to the Mauna Kea Summit and visit the Keck Observatory, Imiloa Astronomy Center's Planetarium, UH Telescope and enjoy a picnic lunch on the mountain top.
Embark on an unforgettable road trip to the heavenly realm of Mauna Kea and see the world's tallest mountain first hand. Traditionally the sacred home of Hawaiian deities, today Mauna Kea also hosts the greatest astronomical complex on earth. Your journey from sea level to the summit uncovers the connections of Hawaii’s ancient practice of navigation and the modern technological pursuit of understanding our universe. You will even see a private star show at the Imiloa Astronomy Center’s planetarium as well as explore astronomy installations at the summit including the Keck Observatory and the University of Hilo Telescope.
▼ Read more
GE Tax 4.166% included
- Duration (incl. transportation): 7.5 - 8.5 hour(s)
- Available: Sun, Tue, Thu
You can choose either Pick-up (additional fee) or Check-in (free).
Round-trip from Hilo Hotels free x per personRound-trip from Hilo Hotels free x per person
- Inclusion: Soft drinks / Juice / Bottled water / Lunch / Admission / Guide
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
07:30-08:00 Pick-up from Hilo Hotels & Check-in
08:15 Drive to Imiloa Astronomy Center (45 mins)
09:00 Private Star Show (1 hr)
10:00 Drive to Mauna Kea (1 hr)
11:00 Pu'u Huluhulu Cinder Cone (30 mins)
11:30 Drive up 9,000-ft to Vistor's Center (30 mins)
12:00 Nature Walk (20 mins)
12:30 Deli Picnic Lunch (30 mins)
13:00 Visit to Keck Observatory and the University of Hilo Telescope (1 hr)
14:00 Scenic Stop at the Mauna Kea Summit (30 mins)
14:30 Drive to Hilo (1 hr)
15:30-16:00 Check-out & Drop-off
- Children 13 to 15 years old can participate in this activity as long as a parent or guardian signs an additional waver.
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. You will sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions.
- Because of high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health.
- Wheel Chair Accessibility: Tour van is not equipped with a lift so some mobility and assistance is necessary to enter and exit the vehicle. Some terrains visited may not be paved, but are generally wheelchair accessible.
- You may not participate within twenty-four (24) hours of scuba diving due to the high risk of decompression sickness.
- Guests with exhaustion are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Guests with heart and cardiovascular issues are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Guests who are pregnant are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- If less than 2 participants are booked, the activity may not operate.
Required Items to Bring & Attire
- Closed toe shoes
- Long pants
Requirement(s) - Others
- Participants are required to disclose their medical conditions.
- Participants are required to sign a liability waiver at the time of check-in.
- The activity schedule is subject to change or cancellation due to weather or traffic conditions.
- The menu is subject to change without notice.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 12.
Will we get to look through the big telescopes on Mauna Kea?
- Although you will not be able to look through one of the large telescopes, you will have the opportunity to visit inside at least one of the observatories at the summit area.
Will there be any health risks linked to going up Mauna Kea?
- Yes, there are a few health risks since you will be at 14,000-foot altitude and at that height there are low oxygen levels and the possibility of altitude sickness. Children 12 and under are not permitted to the summit, and teenagers 13 to 15 years old are only allowed if a parent or guardian sign additional liability wavers.
How strenuous is this activity?
- The terrain up to the summit can be quite rough and the drive can be bumpy. The nature walk is approximately 20 to 30 minutes and spans 1/2 mile.
How cold does it get at Mauna Kea?
- The average mean temperature is freezing and it is highly recommended that you wear layers of warm clothing as the temperature changes quite dramatically depending on your elevation.
What is the lunch menu?
- Choice of Deli Sandwich (Turkey, Ham, Tuna or Veggie), Chips, Chocolate Chip Cookies and assorted soft drinks and juices. All sandwiches are served on a whole wheat Kaiser roll with lettuce, tomato and Swiss cheese.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 18:00, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 5 or less)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 6 to 9)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 4 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 10 or more)