Mauna Kea Summit Sunset & Stargazing Tour
Stand atop the clouds and witness the breathtaking Hawaiian sunset before stargazing from the summit of the Big Island's world famous Mauna Kea.
As you travel up this stunning Big Island mountain in luxury vans, learn fascinating facts about island geology and natural history from your guide. Stop first at the Onizuka Visitor's Center to find out why the world's largest telescopes are located here. Then get ready for the steep half hour ascent to the summit. Check out the observatories and watch an enchanting sunset followed by stargazing! Enjoy hot drinks during the "Star Party" as guides interpret the stunning night sky in a way that everyone can enjoy.
Please Note: Ticket prices vary depending on the activity date. Please consult the availability calendar for pricing details.
▼ Read more
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
17:00 Dinner at the Onizuka Visitor Center (1 hr)
18:00 Sunset Viewing from Mauna Kea's Summit (1 hr)
19:00 Mauna Kea Stargazing (1 hr)
- Guests who are pregnant are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Participants may not scuba dive within 24 hours prior to this activity due to the risk of decompression sickness.
- Children under 13 years of age are not permitted on this tour.
- Persons whom are obese (Body Mass index of 40 or over) should not make this trip.
- Participants with any history of a respiratory problems (this includes pneumonia in the last 6 months, any lung conditions or surgeries) are not permitted to take this tour. Contact your physician if you have questions about traveling to this altitude.
- Participants with any history of heart problems (this includes ANY heart surgery, stent, pacemaker, heart valve irregularities etc.) are not permitted to take this tour. Contact your physician if you have questions about traveling to this altitude.
- Wheel Chair Accessibility: Tour vehicle is not equipped with a lift. Must be able to get into the van with assistance, storage available for collapsible wheelchairs. Please indicate during booking for most convenient arrangements.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
Required Items to Bring & Attire
- The average temperature on top of Mauna Kea is 30°F and wind is common. Please wear long pants and closed toed shoes and bring any layering garments you may have.
Requirement(s) - Others
- Please call the activity provider the day before to reconfirm your booking. Your voucher has the necessary contact information listed.
- The activity schedule is subject to change or cancellation due to weather or traffic conditions.
- The menu is subject to change without notice.
- Drinks are available for purchase.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 28.
What will we see on this tour?
- You will see lots of pasture, volcanic, and forest land on the way up to the summit, with a stop for some epic island views from 9200' above sea level. You will also get to watch the sunset over volcanic mountain tops and star gaze under the open sky and through telescopes.
Will we get to look through the big telescopes on Mauna Kea?
- No, these are not available even for human viewing since they are digitized and physically huge. The tour operates outside of the observatory public hours so you do not visit the observatory. Sometimes you get to see them open their domes and set the telescopes.
Will there be any health risks linked to going up Mauna Kea?
- Mauna Kea has 40% less oxygen than sea level and 40% less air pressure than sea level. This lack of vital oxygen can be a very serious problem for persons with heart or lung disease.
What type of vehicle will be used?
- Built for comfort, the 14 passenger 4v4 Van Terra micro-coaches are equipped with air conditioning, stereo sound, PA, phone, first aid and oxygen, parkas, and a telescope. Each van can hold up to 14 people.
Will we be guaranteed to see stars?
- Mauna Kea enjoys an average of 325 clear nights per year. Most of the inclement nights are easily predictable. The weather is monitored on a daily basis and if poor scenic conditions are likely, the trip will be cancelled and a full refund given (or reschedule if available). Like any high mountain there can be unpredictable and fast changing weather at any time.
What is the dinner menu?
- A hearty hot supper of 3-Cheese Vegetable Lasagna with a tasty homemade chocolate brownie (the brownie may have nuts). Gourmet hot cocoa, coffee and tea accompanied with biscotti while stargazing. Ingredients in the lasagna may vary from day to day based on local availability and the season of the year. Includes fresh lasagna pasta tomato sauce with herbs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, asiago cheese, garlic, onion, corn, spinach, broccoli, carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, squash, mushrooms and more.
Unfortunately, there is no alternate for dinner, if you would not like dinner or do not want this option, please contact us at anytime.
What kind of equipment will be used?
- Your guides will provide you with new Celestron CPC 1100 telescopes that are equipped with Starbright XL coatings for 10% more light throughput than ordinary instruments. These scopes are computer automated and have spectacular optics. Because they are bigger and have better optics they gather about 100% more light than telescopes used on other tours.
What jackets sizes are available?
- The jackets sizes are as follows:
Small ~145 lbs and under / ~63.5 kg
Medium 140~175 lbs / ~77 kg
Large 170~210 lbs / ~90.5 kg
XL 200~260 lbs / ~ 113 kg
How far in advance should I book this activity?
- We recommend booking at least 3 weeks in advance. If you have very specific schedule requirements and are not flexible, please book sooner. Last-minute bookings are often possible, but availability is limited.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 18:00, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 4 or less)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 5 or more)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 1 week prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 8-10)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 2 weeks prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 11 or more)
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
|Duration incl. transportation||4.5 - 8.5 hour(s)|
LATEST 5-STAR REVIEWS
by: Trina Sung
Our guide is David and he was very kind and informative. He provided a lot of island guide and knowledge of astronomy and geography. Everything in the tour were just fine. We had all things we needed....more
Gordon, our Driver / Guide was very knowledgable of the Island and was a great guide of the cosmos. I will definitely be returning and have already shared some of the pictures i took, and people stil...more
Its a must go, when visiting Big Island. Sunset view is breathtaking.