Oahu to Molokai - Kalaupapa Father Damien Tour
Fly from Oahu to Molokai for a rare opportunity to see where historic Father Damien selflessly tended to patients afflicted with Hansen's Disease.
Fly directly from Honolulu International Airport to a secluded area on Molokai normally only accessible by a steep seven-mile round-trip hike or precarious donkey ride. Once you land at Kalaupapa Airport, board a rustic tour bus and let yourself be swept into the remarkable history of the region. Your tour will take you to several significant locations, including a visit to remote Kalawao, where Father Damien created the first settlement and brought hope to quarantined patients. From your window on the return flight to Oahu, take in phenomenal views of Molokai's majestic sea cliffs from above.
- Ticket prices vary depending on the activity date. Please consult the availability calendar for pricing details.
- Due to scheduled flight times to and from Honolulu International Airport, there will be some down time before and after the Kalaupapa ground tour. You are more than welcome to bring a book, magazine or newspaper with you.
▼ Read more
GE Tax 4.712% & Fuel Surcharge included
- Duration (incl. transportation): 8.5 - 9.5 hour(s)
- Available: Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat
You can choose either Pick-up (additional fee) or Check-in (free).
Round-trip from Waikiki free x per personRound-trip from Waikiki free x per person
- Inclusion: Lunch / Airfare / Guide
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
07:00-07:30 Pick-up & Check-in
08:00 Oahu to Molokai Air Shuttle Flight (30 mins)You will fly aboard a 9-passenger plane with plenty of window space to peek out of, letting you enjoy the outstanding aerial views that make Molokai world famous.
08:30 Free Time Before TourThere will likely be some free time before the start of your tour while you wait for all of the other tour participants to arrive. This is a good time to stretch your legs a bit, or catch up on some reading. Wait time is usually no more than 1.5 hours.
Stop 1: Fuesaina BarThis tiny store in Kalaupapa has a number of historical photos on display. The owner will occasionally offer historical commentary on the island.
Stop 2: Kalaupapa Book StoreThe Kalaupapa Book Store houses a collection of materials on the history of Kalaupapa, as well as souvenirs.
Stop 3: Mother Maryannne Cope MonumentConsidered to be the primary architect of Kalaupapa's infrastructure, this monument honors Mother Maryanne Cope.
Stop 4: St. Francis ChurchYou will have the chance to walk through this antique church with narration provided by either your tour guide or Pastor Patrick, the resident clergyman.
Stop 5: Makanalua BayThis is a prime location to snap a few photos of incredible natural beauty. From this vantage point, you can survey a huge stretch of Molokai's north shore.
Stop 6: Lunch at KalawaoEnjoy a lunch together with your group in a pavilion under a cluster of ironwood trees. The beautiful scenery at this stop forms what is sure to become one of the highlights of the tour.
Stop 7: St. Philomena Church & Father Damien's GraveTake a little time to appreciate a moving moment at the grave of Father Damien, a man who devoted his life to the service of those in need.
14:00 Waiting Time for FlightBased on the availability of flight times, you may be required to wait for up to 1.5 hours before your departing flight back to Oahu.
15:30 Molokai to Oahu Air Shuttle Flight (30 mins)On a clear day, the return flight might grant you a spectacular view of Molokai's sea cliffs from the airplane window.
16:00-16:30 Check-out & Drop-off
- Participants may not scuba dive within 24 hours prior to this activity.
- You must be at least 16 years-old to participate on this tour.
- The activity schedule is subject to change or cancellation due to weather or traffic conditions.
- The menu is subject to change without notice.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
- There are no restaurants or food establishments in Kalaupapa. It is highly recommended that you bring some snacks, breakfast and/or bottled beverages with you on the tour. You can leave your bag or backpack on-board the tour bus.
- Stores in Kalaupapa do not accept credit cards so please bring cash if you are interested in purchasing souvenirs or snacks while you are there.
- There is very limited cellular phone reception in Kalaupapa.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 9.
Is this a drive-by tour, or will there be stops for picture taking?
- Many find this tour to be very comfortable and unrushed, with lots of time to stop for photo opportunities.
Does the price include airfare?
- Yes, airfare is included.
How many people are there in a tour group?
- The aircraft can only hold a maximum of nine passengers, but upon arrival to Kalaupapa you will be meeting up with other groups to tour the Kalaupapa area.
How far in advance should I book this activity?
- We recommend booking at least 3-4 days in advance. If you have very specific schedule requirements and are not flexible, please book sooner. Last-minute bookings are often possible, but availability is limited.
Is this tour very fast-paced?
- This tour gives visitors fascinating insights into the life of Saint Damien and the residents of Kalaupapa. Upon arrival at Kalaupapa, you may experience some delays when meeting up with the larger group. There is also approximately one hour of down time between your arrival at the airfield on Molokai and the time of departure.
Why will there be delays upon the arrival and departure of Kalaupapa?
- The flight times in and out of Kalaupapa are pre-arranged and cannot be changed. Because the guided portion of the tour is dependent upon other groups meeting in Kaluapapa, there may be some downtime experienced while on Molokai.
What type of aircraft will be used?
- The Cessna 208 Caravan is a fixed-gear short-haul regional airliner and utility aircraft with a single turboprop engine and seating for up to nine passengers.
What is the lunch menu?
- Lunch Includes: A turkey sandwich on a bakery roll with cheddar cheese, cookies, candy, potato chips and a bottle of water.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 17:00 local time, 4 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
|Duration incl. transportation||8.5 - 9.5 hour(s)|
|Availability||Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat|
LATEST 5-STAR REVIEWS
by: SHARON SHAMBOURGER
The flight to Kalaupapa was fantastic. To fly so low and slow allows to begin to get in touch with nature as you land. The guide was incredibly knowledgeable about the area,the people and demonstrated...more
The pickup was right on time. The guide on Molokai was very knowledgeable. The personnel at the Molokai airport got us on an earlier flight and then the staff at the airport put us on an Uber rather...more
17710 4 [EN_50112_3816, EN_50112_163880]