Mauna Kea Summit Sunset & Stargazing Adventure Instant Confirmation
Spend an evening that begins with dinner at Parker Ranch, followed by an ascent to the summit of Mauna Kea for stargazing with warm drinks and brownies.
Experience one of the most sacred places in Hawaii, Mauna Kea! Enjoy a delicious, hot meal at a Parker Ranch outpost, and then you're off to ascend to the icy summit of Mauna Kea. Witness spectacular views of the horizon, vantage points of Haleakala on Maui, and the amazing Mauna Kea sunset. After basking in the evening glow, descend to the Visitor's Station to marvel at the Hawaiian sky through telescope. Wrapped warm in arctic parkas, and armed with piping hot chocolate and brownies, your expert guide will offer you a personal and educational look at the Hawaiian heavens.
Please Note: Ticket prices vary depending on the activity date. Please consult the availability calendar for pricing details.
▼ Read more
GE Tax 4.166% included
- Duration (incl. transportation): 5 - 9 hour(s)
- Available: Daily
You can choose either Pick-up (additional fee) or Check-in (free).
Round-trip from Hawaii Forest & Trail Office (Kona) free x per personRound-trip from Hawaii Forest & Trail Office (Kona) free x per person
Round-trip from Waikoloa free x per personRound-trip from Waikoloa free x per person
Round-trip from Highway 190 & 200 Junction (Saddle Road) free x per personRound-trip from Highway 190 & 200 Junction (Saddle Road) free x per person
- Inclusion: Soft drinks / Juice / Dinner / Appetizers / Warm clothing / Hooded parkas / Warm gloves / Guide
Package detail / Schedule Close
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
Starting time: 13:25 (Nov & Dec) - 14:55 (Jun & Jul) (Show details)
Starting time: 13:25 (Nov & Dec) 13:40 (Dec, Jan, Oct & Nov) 13:55 (Jan, Sep & Oct) 14:10 (Feb, Mar & Sep) 14:25 (Mar, Apr, Aug & Sep) 14:40 (May, Jun, Jul & Aug) 14:55 (Jun & Jul) (Hide details)
13:15-14:15 Pick-up from Kailua-Kona / Waikoloa / Hapuna
Dinner at Humu'ula Sheep Station (1 hr)Enjoy a private picnic dinner at Historic Humuula Sheep Station, located at 7,000 feet elevation.
Drive to Summit of Mauna Kea (1 hr)13,500 feet above sea level.
Sunset Viewing (1 hr)Delight in the awe-inspiring sunset at the top of Mauna Kea, the highest point in the Pacific.
Descend to Visitor's Station (30 mins)9,000 feet above sea level.
Stargazing (1 hr)Sip hot chocolate during your private starshow at 9,000 feet elevation with an 11” Celestron telescope.
19:00-22:00 Check-out & Drop-off
- Guests who are pregnant are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. You will sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions.
- Because of high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health.
- Children under 14 years are NOT allowed on this tour and minors aged 14 to 16 years old must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian over 18 years old.
- Wheel Chair Accessibility: Tour van is not equipped with a lift or room for wheelchairs so some mobility with assistance is necessary to enter and exit the vehicle. Some terrains visited may not be paved, so wheelchair access is limited.
- You may not participate within twenty-four (24) hours of scuba diving due to the high risk of decompression sickness.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
Required Items to Bring & Attire
- Long pants
- Closed toe shoes
Requirement(s) - Others
- Please call the activity provider the day before to reconfirm your booking. Your voucher has the necessary contact information listed.
- The menu is subject to change without notice.
- The activity schedule is subject to change or cancellation due to weather or traffic conditions.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 14.
Will we get to look through the big telescopes on Mauna Kea?
- No one is allowed into the observatory. But you will watch the sunset in front of the observatory. Star gazing is done with telescopes that we bring along.
Is giving a tip (gratuity) required?
- Gratuity is never required, but if you enjoyed your experience a tip is always greatly appreciated!
Will there be any health risks linked to going up Mauna Kea?
- Yes, there are a few health risks since you will be at 14,000-foot altitude and at that height there are low oxygen levels and the possibility of altitude sickness. Children under the age of 16 are not permitted to the summit.
What will we see on this tour?
- This tour includes the picture perfect Hawaiian sunset, amazing stargazing opportunities, and even a possibility of seeing snow in sunny Hawaii!
What is the dinner menu?
- Enjoy a choice of one of the following delicious meals:
Barbeque Chicken with (served hot) with warm dinner rolls, and lemon-mint quinoa.
Vegetarian Spinach Wrap (served cold) with peanut dipping sauce, warm dinner rolls, and lemon-mint quinoa.
Brownies and hot cocoa are served for dessert.
How far in advance should I book this activity?
- We recommend booking at least 3 weeks in advance. If you have very specific schedule requirements and are not flexible, please book sooner. Last-minute bookings are often possible, but availability is limited.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made after 18:00, 2 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 5 or less)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 6 to 9)
Any cancellations made after 18:00, 4 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount. (Parties of 10 or more)
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
|Duration incl. transportation||5 - 9 hour(s)|
LATEST 5-STAR REVIEWS
by: Linda & Scott Cherry
Great trip. Unfortunately the summit was closed due to high winds when we reached visitor center. Our guide, Joe was great. He took us on a hike to see the sunset which was amazing and then to an area...more
This tour was perfect, reply promptly when I had question. The sunset and the starry night are stunning, wanna go again. The guide is super nice, I joined 12/22, but forget the guide's name (sorry) ...more
Great tour, the guide was very knowlegable answering all questions put. The trip was worth every penny. The sunset seen from the summit was truly spiritual.