Lava Boat Eco Adventure: Active Lava Viewing by Sea (from Hilo)
Plow through rough waves and billows of hot smoke, all to watch new land being created as hot molten lava flows down from Kilauea and pours into the ocean.
Watching red-hot lava break through the edges of the coastal wall and spill into the Pacific is one of the most deeply moving sights one can experience. All at once, you feel the ancient presence of the earth and a constant sense of change. You feel genuinely alive here. But this experience comes with a challenge. It's no casual stroll down a guided footpath to snap a few photos and get back to the tour bus. This spectacle is only visible through an arduous boat ride that takes you crashing through the waves at high speed... and it's worth every amazing second of it.
Please Note: If you plan on booking this activity more than 30 days prior to your expected participation date, your booking will be accepted on standby and will not be confirmed until closer to the activity date. This is to help ensure that lava will be flowing on the day of your activity.
▼ Read more
Schedule & Location
Time & Location
Time & Location
06:30 Check-in at Pohoiki Boat Ramp
06:45 Orientation with Captain (15 mins)The captain and crew will discuss important safety points with you before your journey, and help you understand what you can expect once you get out to sea.
07:00 Boat Ride to Lava Site (45 mins)Hang on tight, because things can get pretty bumpy. Your captain won't let up until you arrive, but that's just part of the fun. Enjoy a thrilling tear through the rough waves around Kilauea.
07:45 Lava Viewing (30 mins)If you are in Pele's favor, you will have the chance to see red-hot lava emerge from its long sleep underground, only to spill in flash of hissing smoke into the churning waters below. This is a miracle to behold.
08:15 Boat Ride Back (45 mins)In the awestruck afterglow of your lava viewing experience, the ride back will give you just what you need to snap you back to the real world.
- This tour includes an open-ocean boat ride, and conditions can be rough. All guests should be in good health.
- Guests with asthma or other respiratory problems are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Guests who are pregnant are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- Guests with neck, back or joint problems are not permitted to participate in this activity.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible.
Required Items to Bring & Attire
- Clothing that can get wet
- Change of clothes
- Sweatshirt / light jacket
- Motion sickness preventative
Requirement(s) - Others
- You WILL get wet on this tour. It is highly recommended that you leave all valuables at home or in a locked vehicle. Not only will your valuables get wet should you bring them with you, they also may slide off the boat during transit, as there are slots on the walls to allow water to drain out.
- Please call the activity provider the day before to reconfirm your booking. Your voucher has the necessary contact information listed.
- Participants are required to sign a liability waiver at the time of check-in.
- Minors are required to have a parent or guardian sign their liability waiver.
- The activity provider does not assume any responsibility for your valuables and/or personal belongings.
- The tour guide has full discretion to refuse service to customers based on attire, behavior, physical fitness and condition.
- You will be refunded if the tour is canceled due to inclement weather. Please contact VELTRA for your refund.
- Gratuity is not included in the price.
- Complimentary parking available.
Booking Requirements (# of participants, vehicles, hours, etc.)
- You can book a maximum of 49.
Are lava sightings guaranteed on this tour?
- The emergence of lava is an unpredictable natural phenomenon. During periods of high activity, lava sightings are likely, but cannot be guaranteed.
Can I participate in this tour if I recently had surgery?
- The boat ride portion of this tour can be very strenuous. If you have recently undergone surgery or have any other outstanding medical conditions, please consult with your doctor before deciding to book this tour.
Please click HERE to send an inquiry about this activity
|Credit card payment|
- Any cancellations made before 18:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 10% of the total amount.
Any cancellations made after 18:00 local time, 3 business days prior to the activity will be subject to a charge of 100% of the total amount.
Taxes & fees included
1% Reward Points
LATEST 5-STAR REVIEWS
by: Randall F.
I'm not a religious person, but something about this experience felt sacred; crashing through rolling waves along stretches of completely uninhabited shoreline, and then coming to rest with the boat s...more